Kojonup Historical Society
The Kojonup Historical Society was established to ensure the stories of both the Noongar Aboriginal people and the settlers of the Kojonup District in the South West of Western Australia are told.
The shire has vested in the society, the responsibility for three buildings; the ‘Military Barracks’, ‘Elverd Cottage’ and the ‘Old Post Office’, all of which house displays of valuable and significant artefacts, archival material, documents, and photos. Kojonup’s European history began with a detachment of soldiers camping at the Spring in 1837.
- The Military Barracks built by soldiers of the 51st British Regiment in 1845 is Kojonup’s oldest building and has been used as an outpost to assist travellers, a school, a church, a meeting place and a home.
- Elverd Cottage was built in 1854 and is one of only a few remaining examples of cottages built by a Pensioner guard. Nearby is a Machinery shed, which holds a comprehensive array of Harness equipment, horse drawn vehicles, and early farm implements.
- The Old Post Office in Spring Street holds many historic photos and archival material.
Publications of the society include; a comprehensive historical account of Kojonup’s development, over 1500 short personal histories on those buried in the Boscabel, Kojonup and Muradup cemeteries and a book on the early education in small schools of the district. In addition over 300 early settler dwellings have been documented with GPS readings.
The Society assists other groups within the community, travellers and those undertaking research. The Military Barracks are open every Sunday from 1.30 p.m. to 3.30 p.m. To view by appointment or arrange tours please refer to the Contacts page.
The Kojonup Town Walk.
- An interesting trail, with 52 historical sites identified with a brief description on plaques along the way.